A farming and stock raising community, 2 miles east of Ute Creek in the south part of Harding County, on NM 39. Established in 1840 by Don Jesus Maria Gallegos. (GALLEGO: Span. 'Galician'. In the plural form, Gallegos is a proper name dating back to the earliest Spanish colonists in NM.)
South of Mosquero is the Rincon Colorado Mission of Gallegos (1840) and its red-sandstone Iglesia de Immaculada Concepción (1910).
This town is at an elevation of 4137 feet (1261 meters). Curiously this town had a post office at three different times in its history. From 1884 to 1887, from 1892 to 1894, and from 1896 to 1955.
The photograph is of the Church of La Immaculada Concepción (Immaculate Conception) built in 1876 on the ranch of the Gallegos family. It was replaced in 1914 with a fine edifice built of dressed red sandstone from the hill just south of Gallegos. The church has fine altars with large Italian statues. There is a cemetery on the side with markers dating from the 1800's and there are actual graves inside the church. It is still used for mass by the local parishioners.
Farther south and downstream from Ute Lake is the town of Logan that bills itself "the best little town by a dam site." Gas, food, and lodging are also available in Logan.